CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 8, 2010

Standing Still

You know when friends of your parents or grandparents see you after a long absence and they cry out, "Oh, you have grown so much!" or, "I used to change your diapers!" Nobody quite knows what to say, so you just kind of give a polite yet embarrased smile and try to exit as quickly as possible. I am here to admit that I have fallen on the parent or grandparent end of this situation many times. Now don't worry, to prevent embarrasement on both ends, I don't ever say anything outloud. But in my mind I am thinking, "What the heck, how did they get so old?! I can't believe she is playing soccer in high school? He's not driving is he? "

I almost couldn't handle it the other day when my parents and I ran into a family that I haven't seen in a long time. The dad was with the youngest kid who is now probably in middle school...I really did change his diapers. They were talking about the other kids, one of which was at the high school working on a project...ok, I remember when she was born. I feel like such a grandma. I know perfectly well that people's lives keep going after I leave them. I understand that kids don't freeze at any one age; that's how it works, and I know that. But it is still so weird every time.

0 comments: