To all of you who wear a watch, you know those days when, you don't have your watch on? You catch yourself looking at your bare wrist every ten minutes. And after an hour goes by, you start to realize how much you check the time every day. Now, when you have your watch on, you don't notice how often you look at it because, you get what you expect and you move on. But, on that rare occasion when you don't have your watch on, you look at your wrist, but you don't get what you expect; thus, you are more conscious of the fact that you are looking at your wrist.
Last Friday I lost my voice; I guess it comes with the teaching territory. Anyway, initially I thought it was pretty cool--I've always wanted to lose my voice, I don't know. But you know how you aren't grateful for something until you don't have it anymore?
So there I was, driving in the car, Gwen Stefani comes on the radio. Without thinking about it, I start to sing along....oh wait, the message was sent from my brain to my mouth, but no sound came out...dang, that was weird. Later that night, I am getting dinner ready and a well-known jingle plays on a commercial. Same thing--I don't really think about it, but of course I want to sing along, so my mouth starts moving but....no sound. Next morning I made a nice "Saturday cleaning" playlist on the ipod....started to clean....started to sing along and....you guessed it...nothing.
In this experience of losing my voice, I not only became more grateful for the ability to have a conversation, or answer the phone, but I am so grateful to be able to sing. I do not have a good voice; I don't really know how to read music, but man, I love singing along to commercials, radio, CDs, movies, you name it. Now, I didn't know I had this love until (like the absence of a watch) it was taken away from me and I was overly conscious of every single time I tried to sing, which seemed to be ALL the time.
I am still recovering, but on Sunday, I was able to sing about four notes in a row. Today, it is even better. It sounds close to awful, but, what have I learned? It doesn't matter what it sounds like, I am grateful just to be able to get sound out period.
--Jenni
Memorial Day
2 months ago
5 comments:
remember when Laura's voice went all croaking and her joints got all stiff and her doctor said is was from stress...
Is this happening to you?
I love you! You have this great style of writing that I can just relate to... and I can hear you saying the words as I am reading them! You should give up singing and write a book! (Or at least a newspaper column) Love Ya!
Just thought I'd check to see how ya'll are doing...How has teaching been going? It's crazy that the year is half-way over already. I hope your voice has returned. I lose mine at least once every year. No fun. Hope all is well! See ya!
I read your blog and the next day I started getting a sore throat and I was supposed to give a presentation the next day. I was praying for my voice to leave me so that I'd get out of the presentation (i HATE public speaking). No luck! The day after my presentation I lost my voice. ONE DAY AFTER!!
I've always wanted to lose my voice. It sounds like fun.
Please CALL if you come to Logan. We'd love to see you. CJ is dying without you.
Post a Comment